Alto Hotel Melbourne Green Hotel Accommodation
Environmental Initiatives - Australia's first carbon neutral hotel
Alto Hotel on Bourke is the first hotel in Australia to receive the coveted EarthCheck Gold Certification, and has been awarded several sustainability awards. Also the first city hotel in Australia to offset all calaculated carbon output and therefore be carbon neutral.
Environmental Sustainability Fact Sheet
- Carbon audit conducted by the Carbon Reduction Institute shows a one night stay at Alto Hotel produces an average 11.8 kilograms of carbon, compared to the estimate for hotels as set by Sustainable Tourism CRC of 24-26 kilograms.
- 100% of all electricity used is generated from renewable sources - we use only Green Earth Electricity
- 95% of all lighting is based on energy efficient, FCL or LED globes
- Rooms are fitted with energy saving key-tags that switch off lighting on leaving the rooms. Our energy use (electricity & gas) is limted to 36.3 megajules per guest, per night
- NABERS 6 star rating - (National Australian Built Environment Rating System) is a performance-based rating system for existing buildings
- Our A/C plant has a 6 star energy rating that uses inverter & movement sensor techology
- Rain water is used for public toilet cisterns, gardening and cleaning duties
- Water flow restrictors to all showers and taps, 8 liters and 6 liters per minute, respectively
- All toilets have a AAA rating. Our water use is limited to 123.1 litres per guest, per night
- Hot water is heated "on demand" the energy savings of this is substantial
- Carbon produced from gas use is offset via Origin Energy. Our energy use (electricity & gas) is limted to 36.3 megajules per guest, per night
Windows All windows are double glazed, heat reflecting and are able to be opened. Balcony glass doors are heat reflecting and are 13mm thick, all this dramatically lowers air-conditioning use
Food Select locally grown or produced items where practical Honey from our own rooftop beehive & fresh herbs from our planter box garden
We have eliminated all plastic bottles for toiletries and replaced them with refillable, pump-action dispensers. These dispensers will hopefully never see landfill and the shampoo, conditioner and hand-soap used in them are biodegradable
- Our Library works as a Book Exchange, enhancing the opportunity to have books read by another bookworm
- Newspapers are complimentary, but must be ordered in order not to deliver to those rooms which may not want one
- We use recycled or plantation timber paper on all printed items, copy-paper, toilet paper, etc
Waste Waste is separated by Paper, Organic [vegetable], Plastic, Glass and General. Landfill is limited to 3.9 litres per guest, per night and we use use bio-degradable bin-liners Organic [vegetable] waste is composted onsite and does not go to landfill. Used cooking oil is collected and recycled into biodiesel
Transport Complimentary recharging of electric vehicles from Green Earth electricity (100% renewable resources) Airport transfers in a hybrid limousine available - fee applies Encourage guests to walk to most major attractions which are within 2-10 minute walk of hotel - Carbon Neutral Encourage guests to use public transport including airport shuttle bus, trams & trains all within 50-100 meters
Management initiatives such as:
- Using recycled / refilled ink cartridges in all compatible printers
- Using non-hazardous chemicals wherever possible
- Submitting all energy, water and waste for benchmarking by outside agencies
- Our keycards are made from recycled plastic and are recyclable. Even our pens are biodegradable.
Guest involvement initiatives
- Guest involvement is welcome, yet not necessary as most systems and initiatives are designed to work automatically without any effort form our guests therefore to a point be unnoticeable.
- Rooms are provided with dual-chamber waste bins - Our guest are encouraged to help by separating their waste into recyclable and general waste.
- Guests are given an options not to have their toweling & linen changed daily.
- All environmental initiatives are team efforts, implemented by the ALTO GREEN TEAM and supported by everyone on the staff
Green Team Members are: Jenny Trimboli Gary Stickland Heather & Norman English